Specific Skills for Goaltenders
The attached information provides you with four categories in which the goalies will be evaluated. Please keep the categories and specific skills noted in mind during the evaluation.
- Quick starts from stand still (forward and backward)
- Lateral movement, side to side deep in the net and side to side at the top of the crease
- Stops and starts for forward and backward movement in the net, challenging and retreating
- Stick handling and puck possession, are they confident?
- Passing and puck handling skills, are they attempting?
- Strength when playing the puck
Stopping the Puck
- Do they stop the puck?
- Are they set for the shots or are they still moving during shots?
- Control of rebounds. Are rebounds directed to the corners?
- Is there any flinching or pulling up when the shot is coming?
- Reads and reacts, anticipate the play
- Play and positioning
- Offensive player awareness
- Reflexes and reactions
- Hand eye and hand foot coordination
- Control of rebounds
- Do they communicate with their players, specifically the defencemen?