Specific Skills for Forwards
The following information provides you with five categories in which the forward player will be evaluated. Please keep the categories and specific skills noted in mind during the evaluation.
- Quick feet, acceleration
- Quick starts from stand still
- Varying skating speed, change of speeds
- Puck control at all speeds
- Balance, strong on skates?
- Stops and starts, as opposed to swooping turns that take you out of the play or giving up on the play
- Stick handling and puck possession (protection)
- Stick handling at high speeds
- Passing skills (head manning puck, looking for passes, receiving passes)
- Passing at high speeds
- Quick, hard, and accurate shot
- Fore checking: playing the body, angling the defender, inside out positioning, pressure vs contain situations, stick positioning, body positioning, fighting through checks
- Back checking: picking up the man (is it the right man?), reading the rush, head on a swivel, communication, back pressure
- Reads and reacts, anticipation
- Play without the puck, timing, skating off the puck
- Offensive and defensive zone awareness
Size and Strength
- One on one battles, can they compete? Which player wants it more?
- Physical presence. Do they finish hits? Are they smart hitters or do they take themselves out of the play?
- Intimidating factor. Does the player use their size? Do they punish opponents?